Horizon EX-59 Elliptical Review
Horizon EX-59 Elliptical Detailed Overview
The EX-59 offers very basic entertainment features such as MP3 compatibility and 10 workout programs, but not much else. The console comes with a 4.5” yellow-green LCD display screen with contact grips to monitor your heart rate; there is no wireless heart rate monitoring option with this model. There are 10 built-in workout programs to choose from, as well as built-in speakers, tablet rack, and water bottle holder.
With 10 resistance levels, a self-propelled no-hum motor, and a 14.3 lb. flywheel, you can get a good workout in that is easy on the joints and quiet to use in a home or apartment, but one disadvantage is the compact design and super light flywheel. This trainer is much smaller than a commercial-grade trainer you would find at a gym, making it harder for heavier people to safely and easily use the machine. However, the trainer does have a 275 pound weight capacity and a durable tubular steel frame construction, making the trainer overall a pretty sturdy piece of equipment.
As with others in the Horizon catalog, the EX-59 can be financed at 0% (with approval) on terms ranging from six months to two years. Given what it’ll cost to outfit an entire home gym this was a smart move on Horizon’s part. Regardless of your situation, 0% interest financing is a great way to get your home gym set up without traumatizing your bank account.
Horizon offers a lifetime warranty of the frame, 20 years on the motor, and 2 years coverage on parts and labor.
Our Favorite Features
- SixStar™ Certified Frame for extra durability, reliability
- Great price point at well under $1000
- Limited, shorter stride length of 18 inches
- Quiet, self-propelled motor, ideal for residential use
- Large console with audio capabilities
- Smooth stride with ECB magnetic brake system
- 0% Financing on terms ranging from six to 24 months
- Impressive warranty with lifetime coverage on the frame, 20 year coverage on the motor
- Nice workout program variety with 10 built-in options
Horizon EX-59 Elliptical - Notable Specs:
|Compact / Folding:||No|
|Stride Length:||18 inches|
|Weight Capacity:||275 LBS|
|Dimensions:||68" L x 25" W x 64" H|
Our Least Favorite Features
- Front drive design can be uncomfortable and put unnecessary stress on the lower back
- Lighter flywheel at just over 14 pounds, which can affect the feel and noise of the machine when in operation
- Non-backlit LCD screen makes it hard to see, especially in dimly lit rooms
- No built-in cooling fan, so you will need to make sure you work out in a well ventilated room
- Cannot be folded up for easy storage
- Non-customizable, lacks adjustable options
- Limited warranty on parts/labor with just 2 years coverage on parts and labor warranty
The Bottom Line
The EX-59 offers more workout programs and entertainment features than the previous model, but it is still lacking in these areas, along with any sort of customizable options. The design is still about the same with few upgrades when it comes to the frame, motor or stride, so if you are looking for an entry to mid-level trainer that is affordable, easy to use, and fairly reliable, the EX-59 is a great value.