Matrix E30 Elliptical Review
Matrix E30 Elliptical Detailed Overview
The Matrix E30 uses magnetic braking, also known as eddy current braking. This is the type of resistance used on most high-end home elliptical machines. Compared with old-fashioned contact braking, two benefits of this friction-free technology are greater durability and silent operation.
The magnetic drive is housed at the center of the machine, which helps conserve floor space. The Matrix E30’s static footprint is just 59.5” x 29.5” and its active footprint isn’t much larger at 68.9” x 29.5”.
While Matrix ellipticals have many practical selling points, the fun of their consoles helps explain their success. Choices range from the standard XR with 8.5” LCD to the XIR with 10” touch screen. Each console has a wireless heart rate receiver, an app for sharing workout data, a reading rack, an accessory tray and a bottle holder. Here are details about the workout programming and special features:
- The Matrix XR console has an 8.5” LCD and five standard preset workout programs. It’s also Passport-ready for showing Virtual Active video on a big-screen TV. Accessing these interactive video tours requires the separate purchase of a Passport Media Player.
- The XER console is outfitted with the same functions as the XR, plus it has a 6” touch screen, 10 preset workouts instead of five, three built-in video tours (no Passport Media Player required), Sprint8 high intensity interval training, mobile apps such as Facebook and MyFitnessPal, and integrated speakers with an MP3 player port.
- The XIR is the most advanced option for the Matrix E30. It has the same features as the XER except it’s equipped with 11 preset workout programs, a high-definition 10” touch screen and a web browser.
To help anyone find time for fitness, high intensity interval training called Sprint8 is included with the XER and XIR consoles. The Sprint8 app delivers eight-week training courses at different difficulty levels. These courses require just 20 minutes of elliptical exercise every other day. The Sprint8 app, which was developed by Matrix’s manufacturer, has been proven to efficiently increase lean muscle mass, reduce in fat, and lower LDL cholesterol.
Our Favorite Features
- Compact for home use
- 20” stride
- Quiet magnetic braking
- Wireless and grip heart rate monitors
- Wireless data sharing
- Preset classic workouts
- Eight-week high intensity interval training (optional)
- Virtual Active video tours (optional)
- Speakers (optional)
- Mobile apps and web browser (optional)
- Reading rack
- High weight capacity
- Competitive warranty
Our Least Favorite Features
- Above-average price
- Fixed stride
- Pedals aren’t cushioned
- Not portable
The Bottom Line
The Matrix E30 is one of the higher quality home elliptical options for beginners through intermediate trainees. Highlights include excellent custom choices for programming and entertainment, 20 resistance settings, a compact size and virtually silent operation. We tend to favor elliptical trainers with inclines and adjustable stride, but we can’t deny that the new E30 is impressive.