NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS5i Review
NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS5i Rating
NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS5i Detailed Overview
The FS5i comes with an auto adjustable stride of up to 32″, and the power adjustable incline runs from a -10% up to 10%. There is a 350 weight limit to this model, and the 16 pound inertia-enanced flywheel is precision weighted and balanced for an even smoother and more natural feel. The center-drive design of this model puts the drive system to the center, even distributly unlike front-drive or rear-drive machines where the motor is only at the front or rear. This means that the FS5i is more compact, almost half of the size taken up by a traditional elliptical trainer or treadmill.
There are 22 levels of resistance on this model, and the integrated handle controls for ramp or resistance are easily accessible for fast, efficient changes. The oversized cushioned pedals are extra soft and wide and the SoftTouch(TM) upper-body grips comfortably complement your individual stride while also engaging the muscles of the upper-body.
The console area comes with a 7″ LCD backlit display that is equipped with 32 built-in workout apps and is also iFit enabled. If you like a better console, check out the higher end models form this line mentioned below. There are OneTouch(TM) controls for convenience, and there’s also an integrated tablet holder, Autobreeze(TM) cooling fan, water bottle holder, and an iPod compatible music port. The warranty on the FS5i covers the lifetime of the frame, 5 years on parts and 2 years on labor.
Our Favorite Features
- Advanced comfort features like SoftTouch(TM) upper-body arm grips and oversized cushioned pedals
- Program variety with over 30 built-in workout apps
- iFit enabled console that gives you access to interactive workout progams and much more (iFit subscription required)
- Auto adjustable stride up to 32”, second only to the FS7i or FS9i
- Floating suspension design creates zero impact with smooth, unattached rotation
- Compact frame with center-drive design, keeping the motor to the center of the machine
- 3-in-1 machine combines the benefits of a stepper, an elliptical trainer and treadmill
NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS5i - Notable Specs:
|Compact / Folding:||No|
|Incline:||-10 to 10% Power-Adjustable|
|Stride Length:||32" Adjustable Stride|
|Programs:||32 Workout Apps|
|Fan:||Autobreeze Workout Fan|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||68.4" L x 28.5" W x 62" H|
Our Least Favorite Features
- Low flywheel weight at just 16 pounds, which can affect the overall durability and feel of the machine
- iFit module is not included; subscription required
- Lacks wireless heart rate monitoring options, no chest strap receiver included
The Bottom Line
The NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS5i is innovative, comfortable, and unique. It’s all around a great choice because you get a compact trainer that offers the benefits of three machines, in one. The console is not equipped with tons of bells and whistles really, but there’s great program variety and your basic options are covered. However; if you want the bells and whistles, the FS7i or the premium model FS9i comes with a web-enabled full-color touch screen display, so you might want to check out either of those models if so. We like the multiple comfort features and the overall center-drive design of the FS5i that is incredibly low-impact, smooth and easy to use. The bottom line: the FS5i is a great trainer that provides a 3-in-1 design that would be the ideal fit for almost anyone seeking a low-impact workout machine.