NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS7i Elliptical Review
Best Buy Award Winner:Best Center Drive Ellipticals Best Ellipticals For Home Use Best Ellipticals for Runners Best Ellipticals Under $2,000
NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS7i Elliptical Rating
NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS7i Elliptical Detailed Overview
To start, the FreeStride Trainer offers an impressive 38 inch auto adjustable stride, one of the longest of any elliptical trainer on the market. Combine that with a power adjustable incline up to 10 degrees and you have a great trainer designed to target and challenge the lower body and offer optimum cardiovascular training. To adjust the 0 to 10 degree incline range, just simply use the OneTouch™ controls that will adjust the stride angle and muscle group to target with the touch of a button. And while there are not adjustable pedals, the pedals are oversized and cushioned for comfort and even less impact on the joints. The cushioned pedals also use belts, not traditional rails, for a smooth and natural feel that is also quieter.
The console on this trainer is also fairly impressive, featuring a 7 inch web-enabled full color touch screen display that features 35 built-in work programs, 24 levels of resistance and iFit capability. The iFit program is excellent if you want to access tons of workouts that use Google Maps and other customized features that allow for advanced goal tracking. The console also features two 2 inch speakers and an iPod compatible music port. Other features include heart rate monitoring sensors built into the handlebars, as well as a wireless chest strap heart rate monitor for easy hands-free monitoring. This particular trainer is also easy to assemble with snap assembly, meaning assembly in just minutes with three easy steps. NordicTrack offers a lifetime warranty on the motor and frame, five years on parts and two years on labor.
Our Favorite Features
- iFit enabled for access to hundreds of workouts designed by personal trainers like Jillian Michaels, Google Maps, and the ability to customize and store workout data and statistics.
- Snap assembly makes it easy to set up your trainer in just minutes
- 38 inch auto adjustable stride is one of the longest strides on the market, beating out the average 20 inch stride by 18 inches.
- Large 7 inch web-enabled color touch screen for instant internet access to check email, browse social media or stream your favorite music.
- Unique floating suspension design uses belts rather than traditional rails.
- Center drive design means an incredibly ergonomically sound set up that doesn’t have the cons of front or rear drive trainers.
NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS7i Elliptical - Notable Specs:
|Compact / Folding:||No|
|Incline:||0 - 10% Power-Adjustable|
|Stride Length:||38 inches|
|Programs:||35 Workout Apps|
|Weight Capacity:||375 LB|
|Dimensions:||68.4" L x 28.5" W x 62" H|
Our Least Favorite Features
- iFit module not included (subscription is $99/year)
- Lighter flywheel at only 20 pounds
- Bulkier and less compact
- Non-adjustable pedals
- Only a 10 degree incline (compared to other elite trainers offering 20 and up)
The Bottom Line
The NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS7i is an expensive trainer, but it’s also like having three machines in one: a stair climber, treadmill and elliptical trainer. If you plan to use this trainer very often, it’s a quality trainer that offers a wide variety of workout options, which is also ideal for someone who gets bored easily when working out or for anyone who enjoys working out multiple muscles in the body. This trainer is also great for runners who want to incorporate cross-training to avoid injury or work on endurance. The bottom line is that this trainer comes with almost all of the bells and whistles of most other elite elliptical trainers so you definitely get what you pay for.