NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS9i Elliptical Review
Benefit your body and mind by mixing up your workouts with a FreeStride Trainer FS9i! As the name suggests, a FreeStride Trainer gives you the freedom to train in multiple ways. It supports a typical medium-length elliptical stride and lets you take shorter steps or even stretch up to a maximum 38” glide. Across the spectrum, you’ll get cardio training and total-body toning without the risks of high-impact exercise.
All the workout potential is packed into a relatively compact size. The FS9i has a smaller footprint than most home treadmills and standard elliptical trainers. The price isn’t so compact, but is getting there. This fitness machine now sells for under $2,500 along with a one-year membership to iFit Coach for comprehensive personal training.
The new FS9i is the top machine in the FreeStride Trainer lineup. Compared with lower models it has a big-screen advantage. You get a 10” touchscreen with high-definition display to make the most of iFit Coach scenic workouts. A web browser is included too, providing a little entertainment as you train. In contrast the FS7i has a 7” web-enabled screen, and the FS5i has a classic LED screen.
The other big upgrade in the FS9i is the increased range for incline training. You can ramp up the incline by up to 10 percent and also set a decline up to 10 percent. The incline/decline not only brings physical benefits, but is also fun to use with landscape workouts from iFit Coach with HD video or Google Maps. For comparison, the cheaper FS7i has incline only and the entry-level FS5i has neither incline nor decline.
Other key specs for the new NordicTrack FS9i include moving handlebars with standard grips, 38 built-in workout programs, a wireless heart rate monitor, an MP3 music port with built-in stereo speakers, a tablet holder, a water bottle holder, and a cooling fan that automatically adjusts its speed to your workout intensity.
The new NordicTrack FS9i sale price includes shipping plus a lifetime warranty on the frame and motor, a five-year warranty on parts and electronics, and a two-year warranty for labor. Customers also get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Our Favorite Features
- The 38 inch maximum stride is the longest on the market and the FS9i also supports a short stride to work as a stairclimber.
- The Handlebars move with the pedals for total-body cross training.
- iFit Coach enabled for 24/7 access to professionally designed workout programs, the option to virtually exercise with famous personal trainers anytime, unlimited draw-your-own Google Maps workouts, automated stats tracking, and other personal training options.
- 10” HD touchscreen for accessing 38 preset workout apps, iFit Coach, and the web.
- A range of -10% decline to +10% incline for targeting different lower-body muscle groups.
- Wireless chest strap included for constant, accurate, and hands-free heart rate monitoring.
- Cushioned and oversized pedals to minimize impact and fatigue.
NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS9i Elliptical - Notable Specs:
|Compact / Folding:||No|
|Incline:||-10% to 10% Power Adjustable|
|Stride Length:||38 inches|
|Programs:||38 Workout Apps|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||68.4" L x 28.5" W x 62.0" H|
Our Least Favorite Features
- FreeStride Trainer flywheels are relatively light at just 16 pounds.
- Simple handlebar design only supports one grip style.
- Adjustment for different stride lengths during exercise isn’t comfortable.
- Assembly is more time-consuming than advertised.
The Bottom Line
NordicTrack FreeStride Trainers are more flexible than regular elliptical machines. Because they’re so versatile, they help ensure that exercise never feels routine or boring.
On the other hand, a fitness machine with iFit Coach never really gets boring and FreeStride Trainers offer less resistance in comparison with other top ellipticals under $2,500.
So if versatility is your main interest, the FS9i could be a great match. But if you’ll want greater resistance then a different NordicTrack elliptical could be a better value.