Life Fitness E5 Elliptical Cross-Trainer Review
As a versatile home exercise machine, this is the only model in the E Series that offers an electronic adjustable stride with a wide range offering that allows you choose the stride length from 18″ to 24″. In addition, users can choose from 20 levels of resistance that are located in the moving handlebars. And speaking of handlebars, this model offers the unique multi-grip design that allows you to choose the most comfortable position for you. Additional comfort features include cushioned pedals inserts and a low step-on height of 10-inches.
Like other models in this series, the E5 is designed with WhisperStride (TM) Technology that uses maintenance-free ball bearings to eliminate noise and friction for almost silent operation, which is ideal for in-home use. While no information is disclosed on the weight of the flywheel, the E5 has a weight capacity of up to 400 pounds which points to a durable, reliable drive system.
There are two console options offered with the E5 model: The Track + Console, retailing for $4948, and the Go Console, retailing for $4299. The Go Console is the more basic choice, with intuitive functionality and a sleek design equipped with a blue LCD screen (dimensions of the screen are not disclosed), as well as 12 built-in workout programs, 2 customizable programs, and 2 user profiles. The Track + Console is the more advanced option with a few more bells and whistles that include a blue LCD screen (again, dimensions are not disclosed), interactive workouts and real-time tracking with Bluetooth connectivity and LF connect app compatibility. This console is also compatible with your favorite devices, and includes a media holder. This option provides 14 built-in workout programs, 12 customizable programs, and 4 user profiles.
With either console, the E5 offers the ActivityZone feature that includes both the LegSculptor and TotalBody Trainer for targeted workouts that focus on specific areas of the body. To monitor your heart rate, you can use the contact heart rate hand sensors on the multi-grip handlebars and stationary grips, with telemetry heart rate monitoring capabilities, though the chest strap is not included.
Our Favorite Features
- Electronic adjustable stride from 18” to 24”
- Multi-grip handlebars allow you to choose the most comfortable position for you
- Internet connectivity, advanced fitness tracking options and entertainment features with the Track + Console
- Attractive, sleek, and modern console design
- Lifetime warranty on frame, 5 years coverage on parts
- Durable construction, reliable overall
- ActivtyZone targets multiple muscle groups for unique, targeted training
Life Fitness E5 Elliptical Cross-Trainer - Notable Specs:
|Compact / Folding:||No|
|Stride Length:||18/24 inches|
|Weight Capacity:||400 LBS|
|Dimensions:||84" L x 34" W x 66" H|
Our Least Favorite Features
- Lacks built-in cooling fan
- Wireless chest strap for hands-free heart rate monitoring is not included
- Lacks audio options like built-in speakers (though you can stream music from your device, and a headphone is included as well)
- Lacks transport wheels, so it can be challenging to move this machine around
The Bottom Line
The E5 is a machine that is both comfortable and easy to use, while also being quite versatile. Users have tons of options from the console to the stride, making the E5 a highly adaptable trainer that really offers something for almost anyone. However; it is an investment. If you can’t get around the cost, the E1 and E3 elliptical cross-trainers are also well-built trainers in this series that can save you a few hundred dollars but you would be giving up the adjustable options. Either way, we would recommend one of these trainers in this series.