NordicTrack Elliptical Machine Reviews
Launched in the age of disco, NordicTrack is now a international leader in home fitness. The brand gained fame in the late 1970s with its cross-country ski machines, then expanded in the 1980s to manufacture elliptical trainers, treadmills and other gym equipment. Today NordicTrack produces a wide variety of elliptical trainers. Determined meet just about any household’s needs, NordicTrack ellipticals cover wide ranges of price, power and size. These trainers stand out for their ample workout programming and amenities such as high-definition display screens, integrated web browsers, iFit Coach connectivity, and 3” speakers all of your MP3 needs.
Below we'll examine the best NordicTrack ellipticals for 2019 in three categories to help streamline your shopping. We've also include NordicTrack elliptical comparison chart.
NordicTrack is part of ICON Health & Fitness, a corporation that also owns ProForm and several other fitness brands.
Types of Nordictrack Ellipticals
Elliptical trainers are categorized in many ways. The most common way to categorize ellipticals is by the drive location (or where the flywheel for resistance is placed). This isn’t as exciting as other features we could discuss, but the drive location is important for a variety of reasons. Drive location determines the machine’s size, a major factor for many shoppers.
- Rear drive ellipticals require the most space (unless they can be folded for storage).
- Front drive ellipticals need less space.
- Center drive ellipticals are generally the smallest.
Now here’s a real surprise: Contrary to what you might think, sometimes NordicTracks offer a greater range of motion from a smaller machine.
To help make sense of it all, here are summaries of NordicTrack ellipticals categorized by drive.
Front Drive Series:
Front drive NordicTrack ellipticals for 2019 are adjustable to support 18” to 20” strides. This is an important selling point in two ways. 1) It ensures that just about everyone gets a natural-feeling stride length. 2) It lets people of different heights choose from various elliptical paths to trigger different muscles. Target-tone those muscles, baby!
Maximum resistance ranges from 20 to 32 pounds, so these residential trainers have the force of commercial ellipticals.
Front drive NordicTrack ellipticals are not space savers. They aren’t foldable. The smallest model is the C 7.5, which is about 70 inches long. The top-of-the-line Commercial 14.9 is about 80 inches long.
NordicTrack ellipticals for 2019 are compatible with iFit Coach for unlimited workout downloads and personalized fitness advice. The Commercial 14.9 (on sale for less than $1500!) makes the most of iFit with a 10” high-definition display.
Rear Drive Series:
Rear drive NordicTrack ellipticals for 2019 are called SpaceSavers. They’re 80 inches long but can be folded to take up very little floor space. Although these machines have large frames, they support relatively short 18” strides.
Some people are prefer rear drive ellipticals. They do have some inherent advantages, although advances in the fitness industry have helped other types of machines compete effectively. NordicTrack’s rear drive ellipticals are especially good matches for beginners because they make it easy to maintain good posture as you train, whereas the front drive machines require a bit more balance for good form.
NordicTrack ellipticals with rear drives (the SE9i and SE7i) are most comfortable for people with shorter strides and less body weight. (The taller and heavier you are, the choppier the ride will feel and the whole point of elliptical training is smooth low-impact motion.) The flywheel is 18 pounds.
These machines are feature-rich, like all NordicTracks for 2019. The SE9i is a big step up over the SE7i. It has a 7” workout display that’s high-definition and web-enabled. It can also stream iFit Coach programming.
The basic center drive NordicTrack series is called “Mid-Mech.” These trainers have very compact footprints, but they support 18” to 22” strides. They have names like ACT Commercial to ACT Commercial 10. The top model has a 10” high definition display with web browser and seamless iFit integration.
Also popular is the FreeStride Series – the FS7i and Fs9i. These unique ellipticals do double-time as low-impact treadmills, as they let you take strides with a max 38” elliptical path. The top FreeStride Trainer (FS9i) has a power incline/decline and is topped with a 10-inch HD touchscreen for workouts and the web. Paired with an iFit membership, it lets you virtually train just about anywhere worldwide and experience the actual ups and downs of terrain within a span of -10 to +10 degrees.
- Resistance Ranges: NordicTrack ellipticals accommodate all skill levels and desired workout intensities.
- Stride Choices: Whatever your height, you’re almost guaranteed to find a perfect match. Some NordicTrack ellipticals are especially comfortable for shorter users (others for taller users) and some have very generous stride choices. FreeStride Trainers let you walk or run with a max 38” stride for low-impact treadmill-style training along with more traditional elliptical workouts.
- Moving Handlebars: All NordicTrack ellipticals for 2019 have moving arm bars to support total-body workouts.
High Definition Displays: Higher model numbers for 2019 have 7” and 10” workout displays that are HD and web-ready with Android browsers.
- Consoles: NordicTrack elliptical consoles for 2019 are impressive at all price points. Even the lowest-priced trainers have preset workout variety, tablet computer ledges, iPod-compatible speakers, workout fans and other amenities to help you comfortable and motivated
- iFit Coach Enabled: All 2019 NordicTracks can be used with iFit (membership required) for unlimited workout downloads, automated data logging, personalized fitness advice, and other benefits.
- Warranty Packages: Top NordicTrack ellipticals have above-average warranties. These include lifetime frame protection, five years on parts and electronics, and two years of labor.
- Labor Warranty: In-home labor costs aren’t covered. You might need to ship the machine or pay for in-home servicing if repairs are needed.
NordicTrack knows how to build elliptical machines that keep people motivated. Whether you prefer a front drive, rear drive or center drive machine, you can find a reliable and affordable unit that fits your body and is ready to serve your daily cardio/resistance training needs. We especially recommend this brand to shoppers who will take advantage of technologies such as high-def iFit Coach programming, an Android browser and music speakers.
All NordicTrack Ellipticals
Best Selling NordicTrack Models
NordicTrack C 9.5 Elliptical
The new NordicTrack C 9.5 is a solid mid-range elliptical machine...
NordicTrack FreeStride Trainer FS7i Elliptical
The new FS7i (sale priced at $1,999 and boasting a 7”...
NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE9i Elliptical
The NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE9i is on sale for an additional $250...