NordicTrack Commercial 14.9 Elliptical Review
Freshly updated for 2021 (and on the market as of November), the Commercial 14.9 now has a larger 14″ smart HD touchscreen with improved graphics processing and dual-band WiFi, ensuring crisp and seamless playback of your workout sessions. NordicTrack now also includes a 1-year family membership to iFit with purchase, allowing multiple users in the household to have saved profiles on the elliptical.
Equipped with one of the heaviest flywheels on the market, the Commercial 14.9 is driven by a 32-pound flywheel. Match this super-heavy flywheel with the Silent Magnetic Resistance (SMR) and you have a supremely smooth and natural stride. The flywheel is probably one of the most essential features of an elliptical trainer because it points to the durability and overall feel of the trainer, so a heavy flywheel is a very good thing.
This powerful drive system supports 26 digital resistance levels, a 20-inch power adjustable stride, and a power adjustable incline range of 0 to 20 degrees. The fact that there are so many ways to use this trainer, with the ability to vary the stride length, height, and intensity, makes it a very versatile machine for both training and comfort. You can target specific muscle groups at once, focus on cardiovascular endurance, and get an all-over total body workout.
Every good piece of workout equipment needs a reliable, modern console to keep you up to date on your workout stats, motivated, and entertained. This model provides just that with a large 14-inch high definition color touchscreen display that is iFit-enabled and equipped to work with the wireless heart rate monitor also included. Additionally, the unit features dual CardioGrip heart rate monitoring sensors as well. You have 35 workout apps to choose from, all designed by personal trainers, and you can stay updated and motivated with an integrated tablet holder to keep your devices safe and secure while working out. The audio options include iPod compatibility, two 2-inch speakers, and the console area features a single water bottle holder, Autobreeze auto adjustable workout fan, and one-touch controls for both incline and resistance. There are even in-handle controls on the stationary handlebars so you can make fast, efficient changes to incline and resistance.
NordicTrack offers a 10-year frame warranty, two years coverage on parts, and one year on labor.
Our Favorite Features
- Powerful 32-pound flywheel features Silent Magnetic Resistance for one of the smoothest, quietest motors available
- Softtouch (TM) multi-positional upper-body grips help keep you balanced and comfortable when working the muscles of the upper and lower body
- Power adjustable stride of 20 inches makes it easy for multiple people of varying sizes to use the same machine
- Power adjustable incline of 0 to 20 degrees makes it easy to target varying muscle groups, or torch calories with interval training
- Adjustable pedals keep your feet from falling asleep in the pedals
- Large high definition touchscreen display features 14 inches of crisp HD video output, allowing for crystal clear streaming of iFit workout programs.
- Great program variety with over 30 built-in workout programs to choose from, all designed by personal trainers
- Smart, intuitive console features that include an integrated tablet holder, one-touch controls, and an Autobreeze workout fan that automatically adjusts to the intensity of your workout
NordicTrack Commercial 14.9 Elliptical - Notable Specs:
|Compact / Folding:||No|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||64.5" L x 26" W x 80.25" H|
Our Least Favorite Features
- Narrower console is not as spacious as other brands with just one water bottle holder and limited storage space
- Front drive design can put strain on your lower back if you lean forward too much (and front-drive design models do require a little leaning already)
- Standard to short warranty, after recent changes at NordicTrack this unit now has a 10-year frame warranty, 2 years on parts, and one year on labor
The Bottom Line
The Commercial 14.9 is a top model. Equipped with updated options that include even more ways to train smarter, these customizable features help you to tailor your workout to your individual needs every time. NordicTrack has included tech-friendly options like a web-enabled touchscreen display, iFit compatibility and an auto-adjustable workout fan to make this elliptical trainer a top contender among other brands, and you’d be hard pressed to find more ways to change up your workout. Critics of elliptical trainers might find themselves with little to argue against a machine with so many options, so while we recommend the Commercial 14.9 as an all-around solid elliptical trainer that almost anyone could enjoy, be sure to also check out their other models like the C 12.9, that are slightly cheaper with little difference in features.
What’s Changed For This Year
Each year a few models get upgrades. Larger screens, or better tech are both common. Occasionally you will see two ellipticals with the same name on the manufacturers site, which is confusing enough for us experts, let alone a new consumer. Below is a quick breakdown of what is new on the latest version of this elliptical.
New for 2021 (November 2020 release)
- Updated HD Touchscreen: Improved processing and dual-band WiFi compatibility will ensure a more seamless video experience when following along to live or streaming workout classes. Size has also been increased from 10″ to 14″.
- New Mobile App: iFit is now also available as a mobile app for your smartphone.
- Expanded iFit Offer: In previous years, these ellipticals would come with an individual 1-year iFit membership, but for 2021 these memberships have been upgraded to family memberships—perfect for households with multiple runners.