Horizon Fitness Evolve 5 Elliptical Review
Featuring a heavy 23-pound flywheel, the unit brings a much more advanced workout opportunity to the floor. The weight of flywheel determines, among other things, how smoothly and quietly the mechanism will function. Most ellipticals feature flywheels between 18-20 pounds, with 18 really being the lowest users would want. A 23-pound flywheel is among the heavier offered in the industry, particularly for those units used in homes.
The SixStar folding frame offers a stride length of 20 inches, and height of 10. Resistance range is electronically controlled and reaches up to 20. The 181-pound machine also affords users built-in speakers, an energy saver mode, tablet rack, and a water bottle holder. Workout information is manifest by way of a 6.25-inch blue backlit LCD, with 10 in-built distance programs, 10 step workouts, two custom, three interval, four performance, nine calorie, and one manually determined. Other data afforded users includes calories burned, a cardio compass, distance moved, heart rate, resistance level, RPM, speed, time, and watts.
The Evolve 5 also features ViaFit technology which allows the machine to connect wirelessly to workout apps and other fitness devices. A couple downsides, the Evolve 5 is neither Bluetooth-enabled, nor does it have a USB port.
Our Favorite Features
Some of our favorite parts of the Evolve 5:
- Longer stride means more usability among all family members
- Online workout tracking
- Workout feedback through Cardio Compass™
- One-step folding frame, which makes the Evolve 5 very travel friendly.
- Heavy flywheel for a better, more stable workout.
- Easy three-step assembly that you can easily complete at home
- ViaFit connectivity to track your workouts efficiently.
- Natural motion that keeps your body healthy and safe from injury
- Comfortable frame allows for an easier workout
- Compact design makes elliptical fitness a reality for those with smaller homes and spaces.
Horizon Fitness Evolve 5 Elliptical - Notable Specs:
|Compact / Folding:||Yes, patented front drive, rear-folding|
|Stride Length:||20 inches|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||69" L x 28" W x 69" H|
Our Least Favorite Features
A few downsides to the Evolve 5:
- This is an elliptical geared toward someone ready to take steps toward a serious workout. If you are an elliptical novice, this might not be the best choice.
- The longer stride is great for most shapes and sizes, but may prove a struggle for especially petite individuals.
- Compact design can potentially eliminate some stability.
The Bottom Line
The Evolve 5 will certainly take the exercise world by storm with its feather light folding capabilities despite the ability to be used by a wide variety of body types. This machine is a winner for those who want the daily results of regular elliptical use but do not have a lot of room in their home – simply fold and unfold each day. The easy three-step assembly makes it a smooth process for any homeowner, saving you time and money. Best of all, the Evolve 5 comes equipped with the latest in tracking software including cardio monitoring and progress logs.