Octane XR6000 Elliptical Review
Octane recently updated the XR6000 with a choice of two new data consoles. Each is stocked with excellent workout programming not only for the lower body, but also for the upper body; some training modes are Leg Press, Chest Press, Push Arms, Pull Arms, and XMode for interval training. Riders can also set up customized routines with 30 resistance levels to choose from.
Extras on the top-tier Smart XR6000 console include a 10” touchscreen for accessing built-in video exercise guidance and browsing the web. The videos work with Octane’s “CROSS CiRCUIT” training, or programs that help trainees alternate between cardio and strength exercises on and off the elliptical.
Like other Octane elliptical trainers the new XR6000 can be upgraded with an entertainment center (TV and wireless radio). Other accessories are adjustable weights and a chest strap for wireless heart rate monitoring.
Our Favorite Features
The following features help distinguish the Octane XR6000 as a top recumbent elliptical and a favorite alternative to recumbent bikes.
- A 16” pedaling path with Octane’s PowerStroke technology lets trainees get more muscle engagement and achieve higher calorie burn
- Adjustable seating accommodates a wide range of body sizes; riders choose from 20 height settings and five seat angles
- Handlebars support multiple grip positions for varied exercises
- Excellent training guidance helps users expertly work both the upper body and lower body
- Thirty resistance levels suit all ability levels from beginner to advanced athlete
- Contact and wireless heart rate monitoring, plus pulse-controlled workouts, help optimize cardio training efficiency
- Optional 10” touch screen with Internet browser (Smart XR6000 elliptical console)
- Optional TV and wireless radio
- Safely holds up to 400 pounds
- Self-powered (No cord required)
- Five-year parts warranty
Octane XR6000 Elliptical - Notable Specs:
|Compact / Folding:||No|
|Programs:||17 workout programs|
|Fan:||3 Speed Console Fan|
|Weight Capacity:||400 LBS|
|Dimensions:||71" L x 35" W x 60" H|
Our Least Favorite Features
While the Octane XR6000 would satisfy just about any rider, it’s commercial quality and not practical for every shopper. Two possible drawbacks:
- This machine weighs more than 300 pounds. Compared with recumbent ellipticals and bikes that are built with cheaper plastic parts, it’s not as easy to move.
- The base price is high (about $5000), and most shoppers will want the more expensive version with the XR6000 Smart console.
The Bottom Line
The Octane XR6000 is a potent yet ultra-comfortable luxury trainer for all skill levels. It lets just about anyone weighing up to 400 pounds get a custom-tailored workout in terms of ergonomics and challenge. For cardio and strength training this model is significantly more effective than other recumbent ellipticals and reclining bikes, plus it can be equipped for especially engaging workouts with video exercise instruction, a web browser, TV and radio. The XR6000 is highly recommended to shoppers seeking a reliable high-end elliptical for long-term use.