ProForm 720 E Elliptical Review
A favorite iFit Coach feature with the 720 E is training with landscape scenes from around the world: Virtually experience the topography of your chosen route as the 720 E auto-adjusts its slope by up to 20 degrees. The machine comes equipped with a 5″ backlit screen which is clearly meant to be augmented by a phone or tablet of the user’s choice, hence it’s Bluetooth compatibility.
The 720 E elliptical is sized and powered to accommodate most beginners and intermediate-level trainees. It provides a 19” stride, which is a length that feels natural to adults of most sizes. It has a 20-pound flywheel resistance system, and for excellent training precision there are 20 resistance settings to choose from. Upper-body workout arms with soft grips help you get a low-impact workout that trains the whole body. The machine features heart rate monitoring by way of EKG Grip Pulse Sensors.
Other specs rounding out a comfortable ride include adjustable cushioned pedals, a workout fan and a water bottle holder. The warranty for the unit is 10 years on the frame, two years for parts, and one for labor. All in all, this new mid-level model is very attractive at the $799 sale price.
Our Favorite Features
Some of our favorite parts of the 720 E elliptical by ProForm:
- 20-pound flywheel for smoother striding compared with competitors in its class
- 19” elliptical path supports a natural stride and can be varied with incline to recruit muscles differently
- Oversized, cushioned, adjustable pedals add to the comfort of low-impact training
- Moving handlebars for a strengthened and toned upper body
- Power incline can double your calorie burn, lets your target-tone your muscles, and can work with any iFit Coach Google Maps route for simulated outdoor treks
- Enabled for iFit Coach for unlimited downloads of personal training routines, HD video workouts with famous personal trainers, wireless data logging and other fitness benefits (membership required)
- Adjustable tablet holder gives a perfect view of your apps
- Bluetooth-enabled with iPod-compatible speakers lets you add music for motivation
- CoolAire workout fan has two speed settings for climate control
- Water bottle holder makes it convenient to stay well-hydrated as you exercise
- 325-pound weight limit helps makes the Endurance elliptical a good choice for most families
- Transport wheels for easy moving
ProForm 720 E Elliptical - Notable Specs:
|Compact / Folding:||No|
|Stride Length:||19 inches|
|Weight Capacity:||325 LBS|
|Dimensions:||68.25" L x 34.4" W x 69.3" H|
Our Least Favorite Features
A few downsides to the 720 E Elliptical Trainer:
- No integrated full-color display; for the most motivating programming, you’ll need to add your tablet computer and the iFit app ($39/month for the Family Membership)
- Customer service from the manufacturer is likely to be slow if replacement parts are needed
- The front-drive design might encourage you to lean into the machine (which would cut down on your calorie burn rate) so some people prefer the similar but pricier rear drive SpaceSaver SE7i ($999) from ProForm’s sister company NordicTrack.
The Bottom Line
The Endurance 720 E is a best buy under $800 in terms of offering low-impact elliptical training with good biomechanics and plenty of motivational features. Presently discontinued, used models and those in retail stores are well worth a look. While it doesn’t have the buttery smoothness of a club-quality trainer, it has much better ergonomics than other cheap ellipticals and can be a rewarding option for home use. (For an even smoother ride, try the 920E). Especially nice for the price are the 20-degree power incline and the option to integrate iFit Coach for unlimited customized personal training… but even without iFit, the new 720 E can keep the whole family motivated to exercise with its preset workouts, adjustable-angle tablet computer holder, and sound system for MP3s. Protected with a two-year parts warranty and a year of labor, this trainer can be a valuable addition to your home for just $799.
Frequently Asked Questions
How big is the Endurance 720 E Elliptical?
The machine measures 34.4" x 68.25" x 69.3".
How much does the Endurance 720 E Elliptical weigh?
The machine weighs 227 pounds.
Is there heart rate monitoring on the Endurance 720 E?
Yes, the machine has built-in grip sensors for heart rate and it's also Bluetooth-enabled, which opens up the opportunity for other apps and monitors.
What warranties does the Endurance 720 E elliptical have?
The machine brings a 10-year warranty on the frame, two years for parts, and one for labor.
What console does the Endurance 720 E Elliptical come with?
A 5" backlit screen.